Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Super-Late Post on the New England Oireachtas

Okay, I am very aware it's February and that the NE Oireachtas took place in November. I am also aware that I haven't posted since July. Then again, no one actually reads this blog, so what does it matter? :)

The NE Oireachtas were November 20-22 in Providence and I went! First Oireachtas ever...I danced in a choreography, a 4-hand and traditional set. My choreography placed third (out of three :P) and my teacher was toying with the idea of going to Nationals but there wasn't enough commitment...so we're not going, which is okay, because Florida in July is probably more than my freakishly pale Irish redhead skin could take.

The Oireachtas expirence was slightly...AMAZING. Besides dancing and eating and buying overpriced random dance related items I didn't need, I saw Ashley Smith and the Murphy kids, who were on the cover of Feis America last year. I also ran around the convention center and adjoining Providence Mall in my wig and got strange looks, witnessed my friend break a ceiling panel in our practice room with a water bottle and hung out with my dance friends and got to know them a lot better (the sugary junk we all ate while waiting for results probably helped too).

I learned a lot about stage makeup, and what bobby pins can do in emergencies, danced my heart out, ate junk, watched movies, shopped and got very skilled at zipping up dresses. I basically had the time of my life. For weeks afterward--don't laugh--I had reoccuring dreams featuring the Oireachtas, dresses and various friends.

Okay, with that over and done with, I have also officially moved up into novice and I'm competing in a feis on March 7th--right before the huge St. Patrick's Day dancing rush. Speaking of which, I can safely say I'm the only kid I know that looks forward to March 17th more than Valentine's Day (aka Single Awareness Day) which is also over.

I will be obsessing over St. Patrick's Day/Dropkick Murphys/the color green soon.

Enjoy the peace now, before you're rushing to and from schools/old folk homes/country clubs. That time'll be here before you know it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment