Sunday, May 10, 2009

More than you could possibly ever need to know about me

Hey,

So, in case you haven't picked up on it, I'm Siobhan. It's pronounced Shi-vawn, and it's just about as irish as you can get when it comes to names. I've been dancing for four years now, competing in the advanced beginner/novice levels because I'm a late starter, but also a walking dictionary on all things Irish dance.

I got my passion from my paternal grandmother, who was an off-the-boat Dubliner of the '50s and dancer for half her life. She was teaching me how to point before I could talk, but it wasn't till years later that I started taking formal classes.

I got my first used dress this year for a steal of $300, and a strawberry blonde wig just a few weeks ago and, like every other dancer, think that duct tape is the most useful thing since can openers and Mcdonald's drive-thrus. My hardshoes have been christened by my friend Kailene Dublin and Boston (Boston's the right one, Dublin's the left one) and I love being a ginger. My favorite dances are slip jigs and hornpipes, and I love doing the 8 hand "The Suites of May". Every St. Patrick's Day I skip school and perform for my old elementary school. March 17th is pretty much my favorite day of the year. Yes, including Christmas.

I think it was great that Worlds was held for the first time in Philly this year, and very proud to say I spent two hours looking for the results online and found that the 16+ Dance Drama team from my school had placed 5th!

My two good luck charms that I always bring with me when I'm feising are a Claddaugh necklace my aunt gave me and a a Tara brooch that belonged to my dancing grandmother. She still comes to as many feisanna and recitals as she can, and I love her for it.

I love Irish dance (duh) because a) it teaches confidence, determination and commitment b) it gives you friends c) connects me with my heritage and d) gives you great legs!

See? Told you--this is much, much more than you'll ever want to know about me.

Keep dancing!

~Siobhan

No comments:

Post a Comment